The Electric Commentary

Thursday, July 15, 2004

Stupid Slate Quiz

Lots of bloggers(Drezner, Postrel, Sullivan) are taking the Red or Blue quiz on Slate. And everyone, including me, is coming up purple. The quiz asks questions that only a liberal would know or only a conservative would know (although I'm not sure why knowing the schools in the Big 12 or knowing where Door County is slants either way) and tells you where you are on the political spectrum--sort of. The problem with this is that most of these questions are factual and about half are left-leaning and half right-leaning. You get "red points" for answering a "red question" correctly or answering a "blue question" incorrectly. So, if you get all of them, or close to all of them, right you are purple. If you get all of them incorrect you are also purple. So it basically puts dumb, uninformed people and smart, informed people in one group (in the middle) and puts sheltered narrow-minded people on the extremes.

How useful.

6 Comments:

  • I actually ended up just a little in the red (barely, one question). I blame my ex-roomate Luke, who loved the video for Toby Keith's "how do you like me now." There is no way I get that question correct without him.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 2:02 PM  

  • That was the only one I missed. I think.

    By Blogger DannyNoonan, at 2:04 PM  

  • Took it again. Intentionally got Toby Keith wrong. Now I'm purple.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 2:10 PM  

  • I was clearly red. Being from Wisconsin (i.e. Door county, the UP)and having knowledge of my enemies (i.e., Toby Keith, the Big 12)pushed me way to the right, and no knowledge of Broadway musicals or AIDS activists could reclaim my soul. How does knowing about Lee Greenfield make me conservative? The Rush question I can understand (I got it right), but not knowing who Mr. God Bless The USA (Keeps Getting In Wars And Fattens My Checkbook) is just means you don't pay attention to ANYTHING. EVER. Not my definition of a 'liberal.'

    By Blogger Peter, at 2:26 PM  

  • Who knew? Me and Danny are the liberal members of the commentary.

    Heh.

    I agree with Pete and Dan that there methodology sucks. How does living with Luke make someone more conservative? I was a painter and listened to Limbaugh, so I got that right too, but it was because I was a painter.

    So Ryan, now it's up to you.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 2:34 PM  

  • It puts me in the middle; however, on www.politicalcompass.org I'm -4.00, -2.41. Perhaps we should start a new post with the results from that. The questions definitely seem more relevant.

    By Blogger RyanSimatic, at 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo