The Electric Commentary

Tuesday, August 03, 2004

Keyes to take on Obama?

The GOP is attempting to recruit Alan Keyes to run against Barack Obama. In my opinion, he's even a step down from Ditka but it would certainly make for an interesting election and the debates would be pretty exciting as well.

''Wow!" said Ronald Smith, another member of state central committee. ''I'd love it. I'd love it. I tell you, in a debate, he would blow Obama out of the water. ... I heard him speak. He mesmerizes you, just his grasp of the issues.''

I don't know about that. I've heard him speak too. One of the greatest debates I've ever seen was when Keyes debated Alan Dershowitz about the role of religion in politics on cspan. Keyes got blown out of the water on that one.

Note: I've been rereading the text of the debate I posted above and wanted to make two comments. The first is that it is off of Keyes' website so there is a lot of bias in the transcript. For example [sic] seems to appear whenever Dershowitz misspoke but not when Keyes did and Keyes' remarks seem to be followed with (loud applause) while Derhowitz's are followed with only (applause). In actuality they received about equal applause. The second thing is that the debate occurred before September 11. Dershowitz seems to be predicting the future when he says things like this:
"I agree with you that there are great dangers that I foresee in the 21st Century, and I think among the greatest of those dangers is religiously-inspired terrorism supported by weapons of mass destruction. When you give religiously inspired zealots weapons of mass destruction and you promise them that if they kill innocent people they will go to heaven, imagine what the consequences are."

3 Comments:

  • Yes I saw it too. Although they both did well in terms of their style, on substance, I think Dershowitz definately got the better of Keyes.

    Keyes posits the notion that the Declaration of Independence is a "Christian" document; yet I think he knows better. He studied with men like Allan Bloom and Harvey Mansfield who teach that this is not so.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 1:16 PM  

  • In that debate I thought Keyes' strategy was pretty brilliant (which it had to be as his argument lacked substance), that being to force Dershowitz into arguing positions that he never meant to take up. AD still owned him though.

    Plus Alan Keyes sounds like Marvin the Martian when he talks.

    I've always wanted to hear him debate Joe Lieberman so I could hear Marvin the Martian debate Futurama's Dr. Zoidberg.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 2:22 PM  

  • LOL -- you are right. I always though Alan Keyes sounded funny when he talks (he is probably the least black sounding black guy I've ever heard talk -- but at the same time, he has the impressive oratory skills that are part of the tradition of the black ministry. He sort of sounds like Martin Luther King would if he had a big stick up his ass). But the Marvin the Martain -- that's pretty close.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 4:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo