The Electric Commentary

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

Am I glad I didn't pre-register to vote.

In the past I have complained about being harassed by people trying to get me to register to vote. These people would stop me every time I set foot on State Street and spit "facts" at me about voting and about young voters in particular. I would always tell them that of course I don't want to register to vote with them because you can register at the polls and I'd rather do it all at once.

"But the wait at the polls if you are not registered will be 18 hours long" they would assure me.

"I'll take my chances."

I did take my chances. I got up early this morning and went to vote with my ID and a cable bill in hand. I arrived to see two lines. One for pre-registered voters and one for unregistered voters. Once an unregistered voter became a newly-registered voter he or she did not need to wait in the pre-registered voter line. He or she could go right in and vote. So can anyone guess, between the pre-registered voter line and the unregistered voter line, which was longer?

I'll just say that I'm glad I took my chances.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo