The Electric Commentary

Friday, November 19, 2004

Conglomerate is full of advice

In the wake of Professor Smith's series of posts concerning advice for would be Law Professors, Professor Hurt, Smith's new co-blogger offers advice for would be law students. I know at least a few of our readers are aspiring law students. Some of this advice seems pretty obvious to those of us that have already gone through the process but I remember grappling with this:

Criminal Incidents: Every law school application is going to have detailed questions about all criminal adjudications, including traffic tickets. Rule of Thumb: It's not the crime, it's the cover up!

I, like many college students, had a bit of a criminal record. Nothing serious, just your run of the mill speeding and drinking related tickets. The problem was that I had a very embarrassing sounding charge on my record. In May of 2001 I was issued a citation for "Deposit of Human Waste Products." Now before you jump to any conclusions, I did not receive this ticket for emptying the shitter of my motorhome in the K-Mart parking lot. I got it for taking a leak in the woods when I was at a graduation party. The Port-o-johns were full. Wouldn't you have done the same? Seriously, what guy has never taken a wiz outside? Anyway, I thought that admissions departments would take one look at that and think I was too trashy for law school. This was not the case. I explained what happened and I got into the best schools I applied to and it was never spoken of again except as bar conversation. So just disclose everything and it won't matter how much of a dumb ass you were in college.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo