The Electric Commentary

Tuesday, November 02, 2004

The deed is done.

I was the 10th person in line when I arrived at the Armory on 52nd street and Cottage Grove this morning to vote, at precisely 6:05. By 6:10 the line had grown to 30 people, and it wasn't moving. The ballot reader was broken. This was not a good thing. The problem was that it would not count ballots unless you voted in every race. I as a rule do not cast votes in races if I know nothing about them, so my ballot would not go through. To the credit of the staff they were working hard to fix the problem, but people wee getting really cranky. Eventually a tech support worker showed up and managed to fix it (the "override" button was broken. It must be held down in order to count an undervoted ballot).

It's going to be a long day on 52nd and Cottage Grove. We still use punch cards on the south side (hanging chads and all) and because of this the voting booth is very important. Each booth contains a guide that tells you which holes to poke out for which candidates. You have to slide your ballot into the guide and hook two plastic notches through two holes in your ballot to hold it in the correct place. Without the book it is impossible to vote, and there were only 8 books/booths at the polling place. If you vote in every race it takes a good 4-5 minutes to get all the way through the ballot, and only 8 people can vote at a time. I don't envy those poll workers one bit.

But they did get everything set, and they had my registration on hand (during the primaries they lost my registration even though I registered in plenty of time and again at the polls. Two weeks after the primaries I received a letter saying that my vote had not counted). The only thing left to do now is play the waiting game..........

Ohhh, the waiting game sucks. Let's play Hungry Hungry Hippos!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo