The Electric Commentary

Thursday, January 06, 2005

Dave Barry is going on hiatus.

From the Miami Herald:

So this is a great job. And yet I'm quitting it, at least for now. I want to stop before I join the horde of people who think I used to be funnier. And I want to work on some other stuff.

So for the next year, I won't be writing regular columns, though I hope to weigh in from time to time if something really important happens, such as a cow exploding in a boat toilet.

At some point in the next year, I hope to figure out whether I want to resume the column. Right now, I truly don't know.

So in case I don't get to say this later: Thanks to all you editors for printing my column, and thanks especially to all you readers for reading it. You've given me the most wonderful career an English major could hope to have. I am very grateful.

And I'm not making that up.

I must confess that I'm one of those people who thinks he used to be funnier. He used to be hysterical. I think I stopped reading Dave regularly about 10 years ago, and I'm not sure if it's because he changed or because I did, but he definitely had an influence on my sense of humor and probably on my writing style (although not as much of an influence as he did on Stephen Green. Just read this post and tell me he's not channeling Barry). I think he was starting to lose it a bit, but he was still amusing and hopefully he'll be back.

1 Comments:

  • I don't know if he used to be funnier, because I didn't read his column much until college. But I think that even if he has lost some, he's still damn funny. He will be missed.

    By Blogger Jason, at 9:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo