The Electric Commentary

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Generous UN Tsunami Aid

The Commons links to this letter to the editor in the Daily Telegraph:

Sir - Having survived the tsunami in Sri Lanka, I have one abiding memory of the aftermath.

On New Year's Eve, I was returning to my evacuee relief centre, when I passed one of Colombo's finest restaurants. It was with surprise and dismay that I saw it was filled with freshly suited UN officials, their finely polished official cars and dutiful drivers parked ostentatiously outside (News, Jan 10).

I went to bed early, on the floor of a sports hall along with 500 other displaced tourists. I couldn't get into a hotel; they were full of aid officials.

Tarquin Desoutter, Battle, E Sussex


3 Comments:

  • Where should they stay? Tents?

    By Blogger RyanSimatic, at 5:05 PM  

  • Where should they stay? Tents?

    By Blogger RyanSimatic, at 5:06 PM  

  • Yes. Actually, SOP for us is to set up a military style town close to the reconstruction, and not to stay in posh hotels which either cost us money that could be better spent, or costs the hotel money. Either way it's a waste.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 5:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo