The Electric Commentary

Monday, January 24, 2005

Is a spoiler warning good enough?

I'm taking some flack at the 50 book challenge for talking about a few important parts of The Dark Tower books (WARNING: IF YOU CLICK ON THAT LINK IT WILL TAKE YOU TO THE ENTIRE POST + COMMENTS). I put up HUGE spoiler warnings, but a few readers couldn't help themselves and they blame me (one at least mentioned a helpful piece of HTML that truncates the post), saying that they had to read it while scrolling past. What a bunch of crap.

So my questions are:

1. Is a spoiler warning good enough?

2. How long do you have to wait to talk about a surprise ending, like the Crying Game, for instance? The Dark Tower has been out for 5 months now. One commenter complained that I spoiled Song of Susannah. It was released 8 months ago. They are not exactly new releases.

I thought that the ending needed discussing, so I discussed it.

If I ruined it for you, I apologize. But it was not like I mentioned that Vader was Luke's father on my way out of the theatre, it's more like I mentioned it in the line at Blockbuster.


1 Comments:

  • 1. It should be, but it helps to do something (imperfect) like change the text color to one that has a low contrast with the background of wherever you're posting it. Many story discussion sites have spoiler tags that can make the text invisible which mitigates this immensely. Even if you just change the color of the text it makes it much e

    2. This is thorny because I'd still want to whip your ass if I were in line with Episode VI having never seen it and I heard this.

    With that being said, looking at #1 I think that you're generally going about this the right way, just know that spoiler labels are generally inadequate and you want to some way of hiding (or at least making (in)conspicuous) the offending text.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo