The Electric Commentary

Monday, January 24, 2005

On a lighter note...

I went to see the movie "In Good Company" over the weekend and was surprised. I went in thinking I would like it, and I did. But I thought I would like it because it looked like a light, formulaic, pseudo-drama with a little coming-of-age thrown in for good measure. I like stuff like that, especially when it's aimed at those of us struggling to feel our way through our twenties. Surprisingly, the movie turned out to be different, and better.

All told, it moved at a slower than expected pace, with light moments often book-ended by extreme close-ups. The audience is expected to interpret much of the nuance and humor in scenes through the faces of the actors, rather than through one-liners and poignant quotes. I guess that's why they call it acting. There are trials and there are tribulations, and even some hi-jinx. What really struck me though, is how much I could relate to Topher Grace's character, Carter Duryea. He's successful, but not. He's confident and cocky, yet vulnerable and unsure. He knows exactly where he's going, only to find that the brochure doesn't quite match the reality. He's me. He's every other self-assured 26 year-old, brimming with optimism, who finds himself not quite satisfied and searching for some meaning, some passion.

We are growing up in a time of prosperity and opportunity that our parents and grandparents only dreamed about. Even amidst offshoring, higher unemployment, global security concerns, there are more opportunities available to us than ever before. Why is it then, that I know very few people who can honestly say they enjoy what they do? Is there too much opportunity, too many choices? Has it become too easy to second-guess ourselves? Perhaps every generation goes through this. My parents seem to have it pretty figured out, although they won't share the secret with me. Something about everyone finding it on their own. And that's Carter Duryea, too.

Everything may be wrapped up a little too neatly, and Carter surely makes the right decision, the one that most real people in the same position wouldn't have made. But in the end, I knew what he was going through, and that's truly what going to the movies is all about.

For far too much information, you can read Roger Ebert's review here.

2 Comments:

  • I like movies where the characters actually make good decisions. It's one of the reasons I like Garden State so much.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 1:34 PM  

  • Word.

    By Blogger Jason, at 5:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo