The Electric Commentary

Friday, February 04, 2005

Marquette under fire

My law school alma mater is taking some "liberal bias" criticsm for shutting down a College Republican fundraiser for the Adopt a Sniper foundation (even Glenn is on it).

I was hoping that Professor Hurt would comment:

I am assuming that this organization only raises funds and provides dissemination of training information to legitimate U.S. military and police snipers, but the website actually never says that. It speaks more broadly about "the sniping profession." When I first read the article, I thought that the snafu was based on a poor name ("Adopt-A-Sniper" sounds like something out of Soldier of Fortune for mercenaries) and poor slogans ( "1 Shot, 1 Kill, No Remorse, I Decide."), but after looking at the website, I'm less enthusiastic about it. If this was a U.S. government program, I think I would be more defending of the students and argue that war is not pretty. If we are going to support war, then we have to support even the cold, ugly parts of it.

She concludes:

My favorite part of the article, however, was the statement by the students that Marquette administrators are "ultra-liberal." I almost fell out of my chair.

Me too. Maybe spending so much time in Madison has desensitized me, but Marquette never struck me as being "ultra-liberal" in any way. In fact, as Marquette is a Cathloic/Jesuit institution, it has it's share of conservatives in positions of power and in the student body.

I think they should have left the College Republicans alone, but I suspect that shutting them down was based more on public relations than on silencing conservative speech.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo