The Electric Commentary

Monday, February 28, 2005

The Oscars

I really don't care about the Oscars, but I will make a few observations.

1. I've read nothing but bad things about Chris Rock's effort (mostly from conservatives, but also in the major newspapers). I though that he was fine. Do people not remember how bad the hosts often are? Surely he was better than David Letterman. His monologue was pretty good (If anti-Bush jokes turn you off, take a quarter out of your piggy bank, head on over to K-mart, and buy yourself a sense of humor. And take Spicoli with you. People have joked about the president forever. Get over it.) and his sketch at the Magic Johnson theatre (which included Albert Brooks for some reason) was amusing. He wasn't spectacular due to the constraints of television, but I though he was fine. His cut on Tim Robbins was very funny.

2. Also, while I object to censorship in general, I faced a huge ethical dilemma when I learned that the network censored Robin Williams speech about SpongeBob being gay. On the one hand, it was censorship, but on the other hand, it stopped Robin Williams from talking.

3. The academy always has a few beautiful women walking around on stage, I guess just for ambiance. Did anyone else notice the woman in the shiny gold dress that was at least 6"6'? She was HUGE.

4. Counting Crows should have one the musical award simply because the other songs were horrible, especially the song from The Motorcycle Diaries.

5. Terrible hair on most of the women. What is with the hard shiny mohawk/mullet look?

6. I though that Hillary Swank
looked good (I usually find her a bit horsey...no, that's too harsh. Let's say Kerrigany).

7. Selma Hayek looked great.

8. Why no clips of the shorts (especially the animated shorts)? No one watches these movies. The Oscars are the one chance that they have of catching someone's interest.

9. For more on last night show, click here, here, here, and here.

10. As for the winners, I can't really complain, as I didn't see any of them. I will eventually, I just haven't had time yet. I will say that despite not seeing any of the nominated movies I was correct about every major award except for best supporting actress (I thought Virginia Madsen would win). It just proves that the Oscars (like all awards shows) are mostly about hype. Of course Titanic already proved that. And Forrest Gump. And...

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo