The Electric Commentary

Tuesday, February 22, 2005

The Return.

I realize that my contributions to this blog of late have been scant; however, I have had absolutely no desire to write, and being that I do this for fun and not for profit, no desire = no posts. I will continue to contribute in the style that has defined my last several posts: longer, less frequent, more researched and generally more boring.

On that note, I have been reading a book by the psychologist and political scientist Erich Fromm titled Escape From Freedom. Fromm is a member of the famous (or infamous) "Frankfurt School" of philosophers along with Theodor Adorno and Max Horkheimer. The Frankfurt school is best known for its development of "The Authoritarian Personality" as a way to explain the psychological susceptability of some to anti-democratic propaganda.

One of the phenomena discussed in Freedom is the connection of Protestantism to the rise of modern capitalism. In Friday's post I will examine this idea and give insight as to why Escape From Freedom should be required reading for the politically aware.

3 Comments:

  • I think Max Weber may have mentioned that connection too in "The Protestant Work Ethic and the Spirit of Capitalism." That book should also be required reading.

    By Blogger DannyNoonan, at 6:19 PM  

  • Allan Bloom puts a really interesting spin on this stuff in "The Closing of the American Mind." But he's pretty critical of all of it.

    By Blogger Jonathan, at 7:15 PM  

  • The connection between protestantism (and/or puritanism) and capitalism is also a major plot point in Neal Stephenson's Baroque Cycle trilogy.
    It's worth noting though, that modern protestant religions have little in common with those of the 16-1700s as thay are no longer as opposed to "The Church" as much as they are opposed to secular society.

    At least that's how I see it.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 12:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo