The Electric Commentary

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

VW Seat Warmer Starts Fire!

One of my co-workers was ignited this morning by her seat warmer (She's OK). When she called the dealer to mention the problem they told her that there was currently no recall, but that it had been a problem and in the opinion of the customer service rep on the other end, there probably should be a recall. Also, the replacement seat is backordered. The car in question is a 2003 Volkswagen Jetta.

So if you're thinking of purchasing a VW in the near future, you may want to consider this.

Update: The Epinions review mentions the problem too.

And VW is being investigated for it.

And apparently Mercedes-Benz recalled their ML320 for the same problem.

Update 2: And here's a message board for those burned by VW's seats.

3 Comments:

  • I had the same problem jsut this morning in my VW Passat!

    http://treygivens.mu.nu/archives/116216.php

    Thanks for the links and the info!

    - Trey Givens

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:47 AM  

  • You're welcome.

    I'm glad that that was actually useful to someone.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 10:10 AM  

  • I just had the problem yesterday on my 2005 passat wagon with leather. It burnt my ass and when I jumped out the seat was smoking. Any news of what VW offers here? Sounds like a recurring problem and potentially dangerous as well.

    By Blogger jbc1231, at 7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo