The Electric Commentary

Thursday, April 21, 2005

Excellent Quotes, Part 2

From P.J. O'Rourke's Parliament of Whores.

Context: I've liked O'Rourke's work for quite some time. I actually subscribed to Rolling Stone in college specifically to read his stuff (and I now subscribe to the Atlantic Monthly for the same reason). O'Rourke is obviously a conservative, and writes from a conservative perspective. What I like about him is that he is a very skeptical conservative. Most humorists have to be skeptical to be funny, otherwise they would never have anything to ridicule. O'Rourke is at least as hard on Republicans as he is on Democrats. Anyway, this is my personal favorite:

The Democrats are the party that says government will make you smarter, taller, richer, and remove the crabgrass on your lawn. The Republicans are the party that says government doesn't work and then they get elected and prove it.

And I should probably mention this one too:

Every government is a parliament of whores. The trouble is, in a democracy, the whores are us.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo