The Electric Commentary

Friday, April 15, 2005

Watching Out For Your Children

At The Slate, Dana Stevens bemoans the potential lost of the Parents Television Council's "Worst Clip of the Week Gallery:

One of my favorite TV-related stops on the Web used to be the Parents Television Council's "Worst Clips of the Week" gallery. Ever since 2001, the broadcast-decency watchdog group has been combing through the cesspool that is television for what it deems the single most objectionable scene of the week, then posting the result to its Web site for convenient public download, complete with a handy label identifying the offending material ("Gratuitous sexual innuendo"; "Necrophilia"; "Explicit scenes of patently offensive sexual and excretory functions.") If you're too lazy to watch TV but still like to keep up on your outrage, with a simple click of the mouse you can revisit South Park's "Whore-off," Without a Trace's "Teen Orgy Party," or the controversial "Dentyne Fire Ad," in which a woman chews the stimulating gum as she introduces her boyfriend to her parents, leading to—go to your room, kids!—a spontaneous make-out session on the couch.

Check out the gallery here.

I certainly support Dana in this endeavor:

Please join me in encouraging the Parents Television Council to restore "The Worst Clips of the Week" to its former glory. How will we know what not to watch unless we watch it?

4 Comments:

  • The PTC is my mortal enemy. But this is fantastic stuff! Thanks PTC...

    By Blogger Ace Cowboy, at 3:50 PM  

  • Glad I could be of service Ace.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 3:53 PM  

  • And the 50 Book Challenge below, sounds, um challenging. I've read like eight or nine books this year so far and I feel like keeling over. That takes some serious dedication -- did you do it last year?

    By Blogger Ace Cowboy, at 4:23 PM  

  • I probably read 50 books at least last year, but not as part of the challenge.

    I have about 4 hours of commuting everyday so I have plenty of time to get it done. I'm trying to tackle some bigger stuff this year and it's slowing me down a bit, but I'll get it done.
    If not for the commute I probably couldn't do it.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 4:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo