The Electric Commentary

Monday, May 02, 2005

Sharon's Choice

An Oshkosh woman was convicted of theft, and given the choice to either A. spend 90 days in jail or B. donate her family Packer tickets to charity. Ouch.

From Gordon Smith:
Can you imagine the family pressure for her to take the jail time? "C'mon, Mom, take one for the team!"
Heh.

One of my old professors, Eric Goldman, did some follow up research:

In a mildly surprising development, the woman has forked over the Packer tickets. Meanwhile, something has really been bothering me about this case. How did the judge learn about the Packers tickets in the first place? They had nothing to do with the crime.

It is a bit strange that he found out about the tickets, however, I have very little sympathy as any true fan would have gladly served the time.

4 Comments:

  • Wow...that's arguably the greatest football-related story I've ever heard.

    I'd like to say if it were me and I had to give up my family Jets tickets (if I had 'em) I'd go to jail. But 160-pound Lawn Gisland white boys don't do so hot in the New York penal system.

    In other words, take my tickets, please.

    By Blogger Ace Cowboy, at 10:12 AM  

  • The judge may have heard about the tickets through the pre-sentence report. Pre-sentence reports are written by parole officers and contain alls sorts of things that were never proven to any kind of fact-finder. Many times, the judge uses information in these reports to sentence people, not so much for their crime, which they plead to, but for what is in the report. That is one of the reasons the Booker case was such a big deal.

    By Anonymous Phil, at 2:29 PM  

  • Ace, Packer tickets are one of the most valuable things in Wisconsin. The waiting list for season tickets is like 60 years right now. People put their newborns on the list so they'll get tickets when they are old. The intersquad scrimmage sells out. So do all of the preseason games. It's pretty crazy that she gave up her tickets. But I'm very glad they went to the Make a Wish Foundation.

    By Blogger DannyNoonan, at 6:25 PM  

  • Yeah I went to school in Chicago, I know the allure of the Pack. I honestly couldn't believe she had to make that choice, such a difficult decision. But jail time = a lack of freedom, and from what the president has told me, we love freedom here in the US. So really it was an easy choice.

    If she had gone to jail, the terrorists would have won.

    By Blogger Ace Cowboy, at 11:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo