The Electric Commentary

Tuesday, July 26, 2005

Should Londoners abandon the Tube?

Tim Harford doesn't think so:

It turns out that the quarterly road deaths in London last year averaged 54. 52 people were murdered in the July 7th attacks (and four times more people travel by tube or bus than drive, cycle or walk). Leaving public transport is only going to be safer if the terrorists strike much more often in future.


Read the whole thing. He also links to an interesting paper by Gary Becker and Yona Rubenstein.

1 Comments:

  • If I had $1 for every time I've heard someone swear off public transit out of a perceived fear for their own safety, I'd have enough money to ensure that I'll never need to take public transit again in my life.

    By Blogger dhodge, at 11:29 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo