The Electric Commentary

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Stuff I don't have time to get to.

I've been so busy at work that I barely had time to read anything today.

I only skimmed this Marginal Revolution post about how Southerners can use their hick speech to be more polite than Northerners like me, who are forced to say rude things like at the beginning of this sentence.

I merely glanced at this post by Chris at the L&N Line about the end of the supposed "box office slump."

And I didn't even read this post by Dan Drezner on offshoring. Not one word. Especially these words, quoting Suketu Mehta:

The rich countries can't have it both ways. They can't provide huge subsidies for their agricultural conglomerates and complain when Indians who can't make a living on their farms then go to the cities and study computers and take away their jobs. Why are Indians willing to write code for a tenth of what Americans make for the same work? It's not by choice; it's because they're still struggling to stand on their feet after 200 years of colonial rule. The day will soon come when Indian companies will find that it's cheaper to hire computer programmers in Sri Lanka, and then it's there that the Indian jobs will go.
Maybe I'll have something later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo