The Electric Commentary

Friday, July 08, 2005

Summerfest Weekend Picks

Tonight, admittedly, isn't the best night. The Wallflowers and Bodeans are really all you've got (still, that's not bad). And there is some good kitsch. Isaac Hayes (Shaft Theme, Chef on South Park), and Whitesnake (Here I go again on my own/Goin' down the only road I've ever known.) could be fun. Both The Donnas and Ingram Hill put on a good show as well.

Tomorrow though, things get good. The legendary .38 Special and the hippy favorite OAR are good options. Collective Soul generally puts on a highly entertaining show. They used to make a habit of playing a few songs of the headliner that night. Because of this I've heard Collective Soul play Evenflow. I have a feeling that they don't know a lot of Tim McGraw though. (Plus they have a surprising number of hits. Shine, Gel, December, Smashing Young Man, Heavy, Run, Where the River Flows, etc.).

Also, while I'm not a fan I believe that Shelby Lynne won and fair number of Grammy's 2 years ago.

And if I can make it on Sunday, I'll be at Better than Ezra (Good, The Reason That I'm Asking, Desperately Wanting, etc.), but Pete Yorn is also quite good (Life on a Chain, Strange Condition).Or go old school with Living Colour. And some American Idol person is playing, if you like that sort of thing. James Taylor headlines with his unique blend of adult contemporary folk rock.

Take advantage, because this is it folks.

3 Comments:

  • Paul, that James Taylor description sounds like a vague "Simpsons" reference...am I right?

    By Blogger Chris, at 2:24 PM  

  • You are, in fact, correct.

    That episode also featured this legendary conversation:

    Homer prank calling NASA:

    "And another thing. How come I can't get no Tang round here!?"

    And later, pranking President Clinton:

    "I figured if anyone knew where to get some Tang it would be you."

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 2:38 PM  

  • Collective sole does the thing where they cover one of the headliner's songs too? One of my favorite Summerfest moments was when Hootie and the Blowfish, just past their prime and playing on the Miller Stage, covered "Pink Houses" when John Mellencamp was playing at the Marcus. I still love Hootie.

    By Blogger DannyNoonan, at 2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo