The Electric Commentary

Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Beware to those who run afoul of Ebert!

You may end up on this list, with the likes of:

"B.A.P.S."

The movie doesn't work, but was there any way this material could ever have worked? My guess is that African Americans will be offended by the movie, and whites will be embarrassed. The movie will bring us all together, I imagine, in paralyzing boredom.


or

"Sorority Boys"

I should be a good sport and go along with the joke. But the joke is not funny. The movie is not funny. If it's this easy to get a screenplay filmed in Hollywood, why did they bother with that Project Greenlight contest? Why not ship all the entries directly to Larry Brezner, Michael Fottrell and Walter Hamada, the producers of "Sorority Boys," who must wear Santa suits to work?


or

"Freddy Got Fingered"

This movie doesn't scrape the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't the bottom of the barrel. This movie isn't below the bottom of the barrel. This movie doesn't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence with barrels.


There's much, much more where that came from.

10 Comments:

  • The fact that Usual Suspects is on Ebert's most hated list just reassures my that my hatred of him is well deserved.

    By Blogger E.S.K., at 4:25 PM  

  • I like The Usual Suspects as much as anyone, and I disagree with Ebert plenty, but he can be quite insightful.

    I once attended a showing of The Beatles' A Hard Days Night at the Wisconsin Film Festival, at which Ebert gave an introduction as well as a post movie discussion, and it increased my enjoyment ten-fold. He does pick up on a lot of little technical things that can be very interesting.

    I know why he didn't like The Usual Suspects. He doesn't like to think that hard about plots, especially "capery" plots. He's more of a character guy, very actor focused. He had the same problem with the excellent Donnie Darko.

    I like Ebert. He's a bit pompous sometimes, but I can usually tell whether I'll like something or not from his review, even if I disagree with his recommendation.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 4:34 PM  

  • A bit pompous? Is that like saying T.O. is a "bit" self absorbed?

    By Blogger E.S.K., at 4:39 PM  

  • Ebert's also got a book of negative reviews. It's a fun read.

    By Blogger PRB, at 4:41 PM  

  • When your job is criticism, how humble can you be?

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 4:50 PM  

  • I agree, I think just about every critic comes off as a pompous ass.

    By Blogger E.S.K., at 4:54 PM  

  • I love Ebert. I've met him a few times and he's about the nicest guy I can possibly imagine. Very giving with his time, very good conversationalist, etc. I actually just signed up for a film class he's teaching starting next month at the University of Chicago. I'm very much looking forward to it.

    By Blogger MDS, at 2:23 PM  

  • Ebert could be a lot worse. At least when he sounds like a pompous ass film critic, he has actually seen the film.

    http://althouse.blogspot.com/2005/08/you-paid-18-to-see-wedding-crashers.html

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:16 PM  

  • I too disagree with Ebert more than I agree with him, but I respect him as a great analyst and thinker. He's a decent writer too.

    I've always felt like he has given some people too much credit though - especially Spike Lee. His back and forth with Roeper on "She Hate Me" (which I actually liked) went like this:

    Roeper: This movie fucking sucks ass!
    Ebert: I liked it.
    Roeper: Liked it?? What did you possibly like about it?!?
    Ebert: Well the acting does suck and it looks amateurish and the plot is lame but... Spike. The whole time he does this stuff man! This really cool stuff!!

    By Anonymous Rashid Muhammad, at 8:21 AM  

  • Oh yeah, I would LOVE to take a film class with Ebert. He does a commentary track on the Citizen Kane collectors edition and adds an incalculable amount of context to the production. He also managed to alter my view of Dark City as well.

    By Anonymous Rashid Muhammad, at 8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo