The Electric Commentary

Thursday, August 25, 2005

The Carnival of the Badger

is here. For all of your Wisconsin blogger news needs.

In other news, I'm pretty tired from my "complicated league" fantasy football draft last night. (By the way, the guy who runs the complicated league recently made this movie. Neat.) It ran on way too long, and some guy put in an offer sheet on Torry Holt for 15 bucks and I only had 8 bucks of cap space left. I did managed to keep him by putting him on IR, but if I ever want to play him I'll have to clear some more space, which means I'll probably end up trading him. That's still preferable to not matching the offer, in which case I would have only received a 6th round pick as compensation. At least this way I can get some kind of value.

Anyway, they point of this was to explain that I was tired, but I sort of lost my train of thought. Blogging maybe light. It may also be incoherent and rambling. I'm haven't decided yet.

This seems pretty interesting.

And apparently The Brothers Grimm isn't very good.

Here's John Paul Stevens on Kelo and Raich:

Addressing a bar association meeting in Las Vegas, Justice Stevens dissected several of the recent term's decisions, including his own majority opinions in two of the term's most prominent cases. The outcomes were "unwise," he said, but "in each I was convinced that the law compelled a result that I would have opposed if I were a legislator."

In one, the eminent domain case that became the term's most controversial decision, he said that his majority opinion that upheld the government's "taking" of private homes for a commercial development in New London, Conn., brought about a result "entirely divorced from my judgment concerning the wisdom of the program" that was under constitutional attack.

His own view, Justice Stevens told the Clark County Bar Association, was that "the free play of market forces is more likely to produce acceptable results in the long run than the best-intentioned plans of public officials." But he said that the planned development fit the definition of "public use" that, in his view, the Constitution permitted for the exercise of eminent domain.

Justice Stevens said he also regretted having to rule in favor of the federal government's ability to enforce its narcotics laws and thus trump California's medical marijuana initiative. "I have no hesitation in telling you that I agree with the policy choice made by the millions of California voters," he said. But given the broader stakes for the power of Congress to regulate commerce, he added, "our duty to uphold the application of the federal statute was pellucidly clear."


When we get John Roberts in front of the Senate will someone please ask him if he knows what the words "public" and "private" mean, and the difference between the two? Scalia needs to lend Stevens a dictionary or two.

Ann Althouse adds:

Of course, you understand, that a judge who talks like this — Scalia does it too — is really bragging about how principled he is.


Hey, TMQ did his NFC preview on Tuesday (natch) and I missed it. Ah, here it is.

Google's getting bigger. I even found this on Google news.

Looks like rambling and incoherent won out. It's probably better that way.

8 Comments:

  • You're allowed to shuttle players on and off IR? Why? The real NFL doesn't let teams do that.

    If anyone asks Roberts whether he knows what "public" and "private" mean, he'll say, "Senator, I don't think it would be appropriate in this forum for me to give specific definitions of words."

    By Blogger MDS, at 1:53 PM  

  • If you put a player on IR he has to stay there for four games.

    By Blogger DannyNoonan, at 1:58 PM  

  • Yeah, he's stuck there for awhile. You can't just use it as an extra roster spot, it operates in similar fashion to the NFL. You can't just shuffle guys back and forth willy-nilly.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 2:08 PM  

  • Actually, you CAN move guys back and forth willy-nilly. The player only has to sit on IR for the first four games if you move him there on draft night, before round 5 of the draft starts. Beyond that, it's willy-nilly-city.

    By Anonymous mitch, at 9:54 AM  

  • So how late did your draft run? Since the other conference basicaly kicked ass and got it done by 10:30 it sounds like you have a bunch of amateurs over there. :)

    By Anonymous Rod, at 1:01 PM  

  • Rod, while we did run a bit late, Mitch was there, and he was showing off his team (and with good reason). And based on the fact that you all allowed him to have that truly unbelieveable team, for basically no money, I think it's pretty clear where the amateurs are.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 1:05 PM  

  • My team definitely looks good on paper -- deep, cheap, and flexible, with the new 1 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE potential starting roster. Then again, four auction players will tend to do that. I got a little lucky as well. I do have to admit, the NFC does have some anemic draft night talent, but there are a few shrewd owners among us, which makes it interesting and difficult sometimes as well. I just happened to stay ahead of the curve this year. It definitely helped me that David had to jockey with his team PLUS three others during NFC draft night. I just have to wonder who you pissed off enough to make them go after Holt at such a high price. Last year, I stole from a few people and randomly bid others up, so you'd have thought they'd have been shooting for me if they held a grudge, and yet I came out unscathed.

    By Anonymous mitch, at 3:40 PM  

  • Trust me guys, Mitch has a great team on paper (like always) but wait until the games are played to see who has the best team in our conference.

    By Anonymous Rod, at 2:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo