The Electric Commentary

Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Top 100 Songs of X Meme

I usually don't due the whole "meme" thing, as my understanding of the term is that it refers to an idea that spreads like a virus. (And who wants a virus). But I like music, and nostalgia, and nostalgia about music, so this one seems fun. This particular meme works as follows. Take a look at the top 100 tunes from the year you graduated from high school, (go here, then type the year into the search bar) and find the tunes that would not immediately cause you to change the station. Paul Brewer brought this to my attention. He graduated in 1990, a particularly weak year. I graduated in 1996. Let's have a look, shall we (with commentary):

1. Macarena (Bayside Boys Mix), Los Del Rio - You've gotta be kidding me.
2. One Sweet Day, Mariah Carey and Boyz II Men
3. Because You Loved Me, Celine Dion
4. Nobody Knows, Tony Rich Project
5. Always Be My Baby, Mariah Carey
6. Give Me One Reason, Tracy Chapman - Not a great song, but certainly inoffensive.
7. Tha Crossroads, Bone Thugs-N-Harmony - Why no comma after the word "Bone"?
8. I Love You Always Forever, Donna Lewis - I have a friend (and former roommate) who loves this song,which is just one reason that I hate it.
9. You're Makin' Me High / Let It Flow, Toni Braxton
10. Twisted, Keith Sweat
11. C'mon N' Ride It (The Train), Quad City Dj's
12. Missing, Everything But The Girl - Like the deserts miss the rain.
13. Ironic, Alanis Morissette - It's like rain. Which the deserts miss. Isn't it ironic? Don't you think?
14. Exhale (Shoop Shoop), Whitney Houston
15. Follow You Down / Til I Hear It From You, Gin Blossoms - Anywhere you go, I'll follow you down. Even if all your songs sound the same.
16. Sittin' Up In My Room, Brandy
17. How Do U Want It / California Love, 2Pac - The non-Digital Underground Tupac song that I like.
18. It's All Coming Back To Me Now, Celine Dion - Me too. And it's horrible.
19. Change The World, Eric Clapton - Wasn't Babyface on this one too?
20. Hey Lover, LL Cool J - Back to back LL? He peaked with Around The Way Girl.
21. Loungin, LL Cool J
22. Insensitive, Jann Arden - I could have sworn that this song is ten years older than it actually is.
23. Be My Lover, La Bouche
24. Name, Goo Goo Dolls - A very good Goo Goo song that they did play at the Miller Brew-Ha.
25. Who Will Save Your Soul, Jewel
26. Where Do You Go, No Mercy
27. I Can't Sleep Baby (If I), R. Kelly - Who knew that he literally meant the word "baby"?
28. Counting Blue Cars, Dishwalla - Tell me all your thoughts on God...
29. You Learn / You Oughta Know, Alanis Morissette
30. One Of Us, Joan Osborne - Oh. Apparently Joan Osborne's thoughts on God are stupid. Dr. Evil's version is way better anyway.
31. Wonder, Natalie Merchant - Not great, but not horrible. Better than that stupid "Thank You" song.
32. Not Gon' Cry, Mary J. Blige
33. Gangsta's Paradise, Coolio - It's such a serious song that Coolio got pissed at Weird Al for his parody, Amish Paradise. He was dealing with serious issues here, man. This is Coolio we're talking about.
34. Only You, 112 Featuring The Notorious B.I.G.
35. Down Low (Nobody Has To Know), R. Kelly - Well this is just getting creepy.
36. You're The One, SWV
37. Sweet Dreams, La Bouche
38. Before You Walk Out Of My Life / Like This And Like That, Monica
39. Breakfast At Tiffany's, Deep Blue Something - We both kinda liked it.
40. 1, 2, 3, 4 (Sumpin' New), Coolio - Very serious. This is Coolio man! Coolio!
41. The World I Know, Collective Soul - Message from the video - "I get it! We're like the ants! Now I don't have to kill myself."
42. No Diggity, BLACKstreet (Featuring Dr. Dre) - I like the way they work it.
43. Anything, 3t
44. 1979, The Smashing Pumpkins - So far this is the best song on here. I think I'll listen to it right now.
45. Diggin' On You, TLC
46. Why I Love You So Much / Ain't Nobody, Monica
47. Kissin' You, Total
48. Count On Me, Whitney Houston and Cece Winans - No.
49. Fantasy, Mariah Carey
50. Time, Hootie and The Blowfish - What can I say, I have a soft spot for Hootie.
51. You'll See, Madonna - I don't remember this Madonna song.
52. Last Night, Az Yet
53. Mouth, Merril Bainbridge
54. The Earth, The Sun, The Rain, Color Me Badd - It's no "all for love" or "I want to sex you up."
55. All The Things (Your Man Won't Do), Joe
56. Wonderwall, Oasis - And all the roads we have to walk along are winding, and all the songs we ever wrote are whiny.
57. Woo-hah!! Got You All In Check / Everything Remains Raw, Busta Rhymes - Busta had a nice run for a while with his crazy stop-motion videos and kinetic lyrics. Then he sucked.
58. Tell Me, Groove Theory
59. Elevators (Me and You), Outkast - Check it out. Outkast is ten years old. Hey ya.
60. Hook, Blues Traveler - This video featured Ken Ober of the MTV game show "Remote Control." Just for that I must show some respect.
61. Doin It, LL Cool J - Wow, the Ladies really did Like Cool James this year.
62. Fastlove, George Michael - Not fast enough to evade that cops though.
63. Touch Me Tease Me, Case Featuring Foxxy Brown
64. Tonite's Tha Night, Kris Kross - How do these guys go to the bathroom? (And yes, I stole that from Beavis and Butthead.)
65. Children, Robert Miles - My favorite all time techno-type song. I think I'll listen as soon as 1979 is done.
66. Theme From Mission: Impossible, Adam Clayton and Larry Mullen - I like U2 and all, but this is really boring.
67. Closer To Free, Bodeans - Everybody one, Everybody two, Everybody threeeeee.
68. Just A Girl, No Doubt - I did like this tune, but that hollaback girl song is so terrible that No Doubt is now forever tainted.
69. If Your Girl Only Knew, Aaliyah
70. Lady, D'angelo
71. Key West Intermezzo (I Saw You First), John Mellencamp
72. Pony, Ginuwine
73. Nobody, Keith Sweat
74. Old Man and Me (When I Get To Heaven), Hootie and The Blowfish - Not all Hootie though.
75. If It Makes You Happy, Sheryl Crow - Then it still can be that bad.
76. As I Lay Me Down, Sophie B. Hawkins
77. Keep On, Keepin' On, Mc Lyte
78. Jealousy, Natalie Merchant - Not as good as Hey, Jealousy.
79. I Want To Come Over, Melissa Etheridge
80. Who Do U Love, Deborah Cox
81. Un-Break My Heart, Toni Braxton
82. This Is Your Night, Amber
83. You Remind Me Of Something, R. Kelly - A fourteen year old girl, perhaps?
84. Runaway, Janet Jackson - Not as good as the Bodeans tune of the same name, or Runaway train, which focused the nation's attention on missing teenagers long before the nation's current epidemic of pretty, young, white, blond girls being abducted.
85. Set U Free, Planet Soul
86. Hit Me Off, New Edition
87. No One Else, Total
88. My Boo, Ghost Town Dj's
89. Get Money, Junior M.A.F.I.A.
90. That Girl, Maxi Priest Featuring Shaggy
91. Po Pimp, Do Or Die
92. Until It Sleeps, Metallica - A good late-era Metallica tune. Gets excellent treatment on the orchestral S&M album.
93. Hay, Crucial Conflict - Horses eat hay.
94. Beautiful Life, Ace Of Base - I don't see the sign anymore.
95. Back For Good, Take That
96. I Got Id / Long Road, Pearl Jam - A good post-Vitalogy Pear Jam song? Yes, it did happen.
97. Soon As I Get Home, Faith Evans
98. Macarena, Los Del Rio - Again? I'm convinced that the popularity of this tune is related to the 1/5 people who don't know that the Earth revolves around the Sun.
99. Only Wanna Be With You, Hootie and The Blowfish - Sometimes I wonder, if it'll ever end.
100. Don't Cry, Seal - Oh good. It did.

8 Comments:

  • This list is kind of depressing. I really thought that popular music was better back in 1996 than it is now. Clearly it wasn't.

    By Blogger Jodi Haraldson-Noonan, at 12:20 PM  

  • I'm '95, and although I would gladly listen to No. 1, Gangsta's Paradise, any day of the week, the rest of the list is awful.

    By Blogger MDS, at 1:26 PM  

  • Wow, that's truly terrible. Even the sonngs I sort of like a mostly campy.

    When was it a good year?

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 1:38 PM  

  • I would mock you, but I actually went to a Hootie concert in 1995.

    By Blogger PRB, at 2:20 PM  

  • I've seen Hootie twice. I still love the band.

    By Blogger DannyNoonan, at 2:36 PM  

  • The band was OK, but Darius as a purple cowboy is disturbing.

    By Anonymous mitch, at 2:48 PM  

  • That's the tender crisp bacon cheddar ranch.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 2:57 PM  

  • Oh yes 95' is horrid. 3 songs are tolerable. Ganster's P, Petty, December.
    Now I remember why I listened to basically just classic rock and Nirvana/Pearl Jam back then.

    By Anonymous Scott H, at 4:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo