The Electric Commentary

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Razor Blade Wars Reaching Critical Mass

This is getting ridiculous. Actually it's already ridiculous:

NEW YORK (Reuters) - Gillette Co. (G.N: Quote, Profile, Research) on Wednesday unveiled its newest shaving system, a five-bladed razor called Fusion with a trimmer on the back of the cartridge aimed at the 50 percent of men who have mustaches and beards.

Fusion is Gillette's latest product geared at maintaining the company's leading share of the world's razor and blade market.

It has one more blade than the Quattro sold by rival Schick, a unit of Energizer Holdings Inc. (ENR.N: Quote, Profile, Research), plus a trimming blade on the back of the pivoting cartridge for shaping facial hair, trimming sideburns and shaving under the nose.


I'm going home and building a 9 bladed razor out of my old Sensor razors.

8 Comments:

  • I'm years & blades ahead of them all, I shave with a cheese grater.

    By Anonymous Scott H, at 9:24 PM  

  • I find that I get the closest shave with the Platinum Mach 14 razor (anyone remember that SNL spoof)?

    By Blogger dhodge, at 9:56 AM  

  • Does anyone have a recommendation for a good razor for a man with a heavy beard and sensitive skin? I currently use the Mach 3. I frequently get ingrown hairs in the neck area. I've heard that shaving products aimed at African-American men are the way to go, but I can never find any shaving products aimed at African-American men.

    By Blogger MDS, at 10:16 AM  

  • I could use a new razor myelf. I've got the heavy beard thing too, and I've got a Homer Simpsonesque five o'clock shadow by about noon every day. My Mach 3 works ok, but it could be better.

    I have never heard that kind of a recommendation, however, I would recommend trying the Walgreens on 55th and Lake Park in Hyde Park in my old neck of the woods. They had a huge African-American hair/skin/cosmetic section. Maybe I'll do so next time I'm down there.

    I also know 2 guys who shave with a straight razor. Of course, they're nuts.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 11:32 AM  

  • And I do remember that skit. The best part is the cartoon.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 11:55 AM  

  • Actually, the Onion predicted it a long time ago:

    F#ck Everything, We're Doing Five Blades

    Here's the report from Engineering. Someone put it in the bathroom: I want to wipe my ass with it. They don't tell me what to invent—I tell them. And I'm telling them to stick two more blades in there. I don't care how. Make the blades so thin they're invisible. Put some on the handle. I don't care if they have to cram the fifth blade in perpendicular to the other four, just do it!

    By Blogger Crow, at 12:41 PM  

  • The Platinum Mach 14 was in the same episode as Adele The Office Skank. How come I've never worked with a woman like that?

    By Blogger MDS, at 4:18 PM  

  • mds, I don't know about the razors, but for ingrown hairs they have some kind of cream or something that hardens the hairs so they pierce the skin. Also, shaving against the grain can cause ingrown hairs.
    The cheese grater roots them out pretty good too.

    By Anonymous Scott H, at 1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo