The Electric Commentary

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Diane Sykes

There's a lot of buzz around Wisconsin about Diane Sykes as a potential Supreme Court nominee. This may simply be Wisconsinites cheering on the home team, but it does make some sense. She's female, she's very conservative, she has received lots of praise from the two Democratic Wisconsin senators (Feingold and Kohl), both of whom sit on the Senate Judiciary Committee, she currently sits on the Seventh Circuit, and she is fairly young.

I must confess that I don't know much about her philosophy or her qualifications, but she also served on the Wisconsin Supreme Court before heading to the Seventh Circuit, which is a nice start to say the least.

I just thought that I'd mention it.

4 Comments:

  • Respectful question:
    If she had not married Milwaukee conservative radio talk show host Charlie Sykes, would she be in those impressive career positions as quickly as she did?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:18 PM  

  • Good question. I haven't the foggiest idea. I don't really remember back that far. It probably hasn't hurt her with regard to name recognition, but I could see it having hurt her too. I'm just not sure.

    In the unlikely event that she does get nominated it will be interesting to see if Charlie is brought up or not.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 2:31 PM  

  • Thanks for the quick reply. It just seems there must be a reason, other than or in addition to merit, that Ms. Sykes has had such a quick ascension.

    It would be sad to me if we only take notice of a woman's merit based on the caliber of prominent conservative man she once had the good sense to marry.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:54 PM  

  • I recall reading a number of her dissents in Wisconsin insurance cases. Always pretty reasonable so far as memory serves. She has a good point on the collateral source rule and how to best determine what the reasonable value of medical services are in her dissent in the Heritage Mut. Ins. Co. case. I forgot the citation.

    By Anonymous Phil, at 5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo