The Electric Commentary

Thursday, October 27, 2005

Harriet Miers, fast version.

Here's what I think.

1. She was unqualified.

2. She was more likely to agree with me politically than anyone else that Bush will nominate.

3. There was certainly no guarantee that she would agree with me politically.

4. I don't necessarily care if a judge agrees with me politically. If I was a judge, I would be forced to make many rulings with which I did not agree politically on a regular basis.

5. She would likely have ruled like a politician, that is, without an underlying philosophy. This bothers me.

6. There are better alternatives.

7. All conservative nominees scare me a bit.

8. All liberal nominees scare me a bit too.

9. I don't really like anyone with a serious chance to be nominated to the Supreme Court.

10. It's difficult to care that much when you're in that situation. Doing so leaves you perpetually worried. I'm not much or a worrier.

Conclusion: She would have been bad at her job. The fact that someone that I have greater political disagreements with, but that is more qualified, will probably now get that job is an improvement. The problem that I face is not that I am incapable of sneaking a candidate that I like past a bunch of conservatives. The problem that I face is that there are a bunch of conservatives in charge. This is the fault of a bunch of voters. As per usual.

By the way, kudos to Charles Krauthammer for coming up with the Miers exit strategy. I suppose it's possible that someone from the administration fed him the idea, but it seems a little too smart for that.

2 Comments:

  • And I am feeling a bit better today, for the record.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 1:45 PM  

  • I agree with you on all of your points. Perhaps Supreme Court justices should require a supermajority of 2/3.

    I think that the problem is that not only are conservatives in charge, but also that they are not moderate conservatives. If they were moderate conservatives then we'd have a better chance of moderately conservative nominees.

    By Anonymous Scott, at 4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo