The Electric Commentary

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

I'm still sick.

It's really the worst kind. Just a cold, not quite bad enough to justify skipping work (which I wouldn't want to do anyway right now) but annoying enough that it distracts me every 30 seconds or so. The advantages are that I'm on Dayquil. Kudos to the makers of Nyquil for doing such a bang up job on Dayquil. I know they just pump Nyquil full of caffeine, but sometimes the simplest solution is best. Occam's Razor and all.

I haven't really followed the news much lately. I only made it through the 8th inning last night, and the cold makes reading a bit of a chore. That said, did you know that we're ruled by investment geniuses?

Last year, Alan Ziobrowski, a professor at Georgia State, headed the first-ever systematic study of politicians as investors. Ziobrowski and his colleagues looked at six thousand stock transactions made by senators between 1993 and 1998. Over that time, senators beat the market, on average, by twelve per cent annually. Since a mutual-fund manager who beats the market by two or three per cent a year is considered a genius, the politicians’ ability to foresee the future seems practically divine. They did an especially good job of picking up stocks at just the right time; their buys were typically flat before they bought them, but beat the market by thirty per cent, on average, in the year after. By those standards, Frist actually looks like a bit of a piker.


Interesting, no? Maybe I'll give my senator a call later and ask for stock tips. Hat tip to Julian Sanchez.

Also, we're running out of fish, which sucks, because I like orange roughie. Oh well.

And here's Virginia Postrel on Harriet Miers. Devastating.

7 Comments:

  • Been handling any birds lately? (had to ask!)

    By Blogger Mike, at 1:53 PM  

  • Oh, thanks for that. At least it's "only" fatal about 50% of the time.

    I don't think so, but I've been eating alot of chicken. I actually just saw that parts of Europe (Greece, mainly) are banning the ingestion of raw eggs.

    No bird flu yet.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 1:59 PM  

  • I don't think it's true that Dayquil is just Nyquil with caffeine. I think there's an active ingredient in Dayquil that isn't in Nyquil.

    By Blogger MDS, at 2:05 PM  

  • According to Medical News Today:

    Advertised Brand: NyQuil(R) or DayQuil(R)
    Active Ingredient: Acetaminophen, Dextromethorphan, Doxylamine Succinate* and Pseudoephedrine HCl (* ingredient is not included in DayQuil(R))
    Store Brand Product: Nite Time Liquid or Softgels; Day Time Liquid or Softgels


    So, no Succinate in Dayquil. Fine by me, I don't need it.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 2:19 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 2:19 PM  

  • So by the time I can finally afford to eat fish regularly it will all be gone? Ditto on the orange roughie. I agree with the column, lobster is trash fish & scallops suck.
    Seriously, overfishing has been an issue for a long time. All the old people got good fish, but at least we get Ipods & Tivo.

    By Anonymous Scott, at 9:43 PM  

  • Hope you're feeling better today...

    By Blogger Mike, at 8:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo