The Electric Commentary

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Afternoon Puzzle, Part 2

This one is courtesy of an anonymous friend:

OK music lyric aficionados, here is the question:

What song has the record for repeating the same word the most consecutive times? For example - in Smashing Pumpkins' "Tonight Tonight," Billy Corgan says, "tonight, tonight, toonight" which counts as 3. (Note: At the end of the song he actually says it 5 times in a row.) Repeat phrases do not count - for example in Soul Asylum's misery he says "frustrated incorporated" 50 times in a row - this counts as 0. Nonsense words do not count (i.e. na na na na na na na). So far we have many 3 in a rows, a few 4 in a rows, a couple of 5 in a rows, a 6 in a row, and a 7 in a row - that is the top right now but I'm sure there are some 10's out there.


The best that I can come up with is the Pixie's Debaser, in which the word Debaser is repeated 12 times in a row. Elton John's Saturday Night's Alright (For Fighting) repeats "Saturday" 9 times in a row. Can you do better?

9 Comments:

  • I'm sure the record has to belong to some shitty house/techno band. Most of those songs only have one word.

    By Blogger DannyNoonan, at 2:59 PM  

  • No techno allowed. Only real music.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 3:03 PM  

  • Pink Floyd, Run Like Hell, "Run," 16 times.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 3:18 PM  

  • How many times did Mr. Bungle (a Faith No More side project)repeat "redundant" on that one album? Surely someone knows what I'm talking about. I would look it up except that I'm at work.

    By Blogger Mike, at 3:44 PM  

  • I'm at work too, so I'm no help. My Faith No More knowledge starts with Epic and ends with We Care Alot.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 3:48 PM  

  • "7 in a row - that is the top right now but I'm sure there are some 10's out there."

    What a bunch of weaklings.

    In the Deftones' "7 words," the word "suck" is said 12 times. In Tenacious D's song "Lee," the word "Lee" is said 13 times.

    Nice work to Paul Noonan for thinking of "Run" but I have that beat. In Outkast's "Gasoline Dreams," the word "alright" is said 20 times in a row.

    By Blogger the Rising Jurist, at 3:55 PM  

  • Ah, it's only 15 times in "Hey Ya."

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 3:57 PM  

  • And that Mr. Bungle song is "My Ass is On Fire," in which "redundant" must be repeated over 20 times. I can't find the song to listen to it but I do remember it. Of course, I would contest this under the "real music only" rule, because this song is frankly unlistenable.

    By Blogger the Rising Jurist, at 4:02 PM  

  • I think McHammer says "pray" like 8-12 times in a row at the end of that Pray to make it today song. (Cannot find lyrics to validate.) Otherwise the best I know is the Hallelujah Chorus by Handel which does it 7 times.

    By Anonymous Scott, at 6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo