The Electric Commentary

Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Dave Barry Hangs It Up For Good.

His sabbatical is now permanent:

E&P: With your sabbatical nearing a year, do you have any idea yet whether or not you will resume your column at some point?

Barry: I'm not going to resume my regular weekly column. I'll continue to write occasional columns for the Herald, as I did this year. I'll also continue to do the holiday gift guide, and the year in review. And I'll keep blogging. But not the weekly column.

E&P: If you might resume it, when would be the earliest that would happen?

Barry: Several weeks after my death.

4 Comments:

  • NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    I am so bummed, although I did enjoy his Holiday Gift Guide this year. :)

    By Blogger Joy in the Journey, at 4:46 PM  

  • That is terrible news. Barry was always a funny guy. His books and his articles made me laugh.

    By Blogger Jenna, at 6:48 PM  

  • I won't miss Dave Barry a bit. There was a time when he was a truly brilliant comic writer, but that time was two decades ago. Writing well is hard work, and I think a lot of writers who become successful decide they're just not willing to work hard anymore. Dave Barry is a prime example.

    By Blogger MDS, at 11:48 PM  

  • Dave has certainly gotten less funny over time, but he still cranked out a winner every now and then.

    Still it's worth noting when the one of the best comedy writers of a generation decides to hang it up (assuming he sticks to retirement, of course).

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 9:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo