The Electric Commentary

Monday, January 16, 2006

Happy Martin Luther King Day

Here is King's Letter from a Birmingham Jail:

Conversely, one has a moral responsibility to disobey unjust laws. I would agree with St. Augustine that "an unjust law is no law at all."


Reason has more including a link to this eye-opening L.A. Times op-ed:

Ed Brayton has a nice tribute, including a link to a video of the "I Have a Dream" speech.

One of my favorite MLK tributes was written by Christine Hurt last year:

If you want a reminder of how far our society has come in the last 40 years, try explaining the impact of Martin Luther King and the Civil Rights Movement to a 5 1/2 year-old. As I explained to Carter how, in the year that my sister was born, she could not have taken swimming lessons with her friend Cassidy, or gone to the same school as her friend Cade, she looked at me and said, "You're joking." When I went on to explain to her segregated bathrooms, segregated water fountains, and struggles to vote, she was completely taken aback. I will be the first to admit that we do not live in a color-blind society, but my daughter's incredulousness at daily life in 1964 has to be a sign of progress.


Update: You can listen to U2's excellent album, The Unforgettable Fire, here.

1 Comments:

  • The most memorable King Tribute I ever remember was John Hume, the Irish politician / Nobel Laureate speaking on how it was King that gave him hope for peace through non-violence and provided the guiding philosophy that led to the Good Friday Agreement.

    He said that at the end of every party meeting they sang Danny Boy and We Shall Overcome.

    By Anonymous Rashid Muhammad, at 8:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo