The Electric Commentary

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Time Running Out On The Mark Belling Bobblehead Auction!

Less than a day to go!

I'd also like to point out, and take credit for the fact that a mini Belling industry has popped up on E-bay. But remember, just because that other bobblehead is slightly cheaper right now is no guaranty that it will be when the auction ends. Some bidders will hold out, and because there will likely not be an alternative when his auction ends, the price of his bobblehead may be even higher. (It will be "scarcer" than my bobblehead, unless there is a new entry.)

When some economists and politicians talk about higher oil prices, they often mention that high prices will spur further investment into energy production that was previously prohibitively expensive. This bobblehead phenomenon is a perfect example.

The market for MB bobbleheads was uncertain until I listed mine. When Spivak, Bice, and Mark all mentioned the auction they caused a shock that greatly increased the price of this resource, and that shock has now spurred 3 entrepreneurs into entering the market.

Capitalism rules.

Unless you happen to be me.

It was better for me when I had a monopoly.

4 Comments:

  • I just want to apologize for undercutting your auction.
    I had tried to sell mine last year, but got a total of 3 hits on the auction, and was not able to sell it...sadly mine did not make it on the radar of the Blogosphere...especially the one on JSOnline.

    The interesting part of this story (or the only part that is close to interesting) is that I actually did not see the link to your auction on the JSOnline website, nor did I hear Mark's comments on his show. I found your auction when my "favorite searches" function that I had set up on eBay (after I originally won the bobblehead) emailed me about your auction. I have been monitoring eBay for the last 2 years just to get an idea of when to jump in. When I saw that yours was taking off, I figured it would be wise to ride your coat-tails...I only found out about the Spivak & Byce posting (and thus your blog) when I tried to figure out how you got 1000+ hits and I only had approx 100.

    That being said, I really did not figure that it would completely end the bidding on your auction...and for that I apologize. I knew that it would not be GOOD for your auction, but I really did not anticipate that it would have the effect that it did.


    Sorry for the long story...I realize it does not put cash in your pocket. But I hope you at least found it interesting.


    Thank you for getting noticed by Spivak & Byce and getting us both more money than our auctions alone would have gotten.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:11 AM  

  • Hey, no worries. That was the smart thing to do, and frankly, I'm surprised that there were not more listings.

    I hope you make twice as much.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 9:22 AM  

  • thanks for understanding.
    I too am surprised that there have not been more. That was another reason I posted mine so quickly...I did not want to be #3.

    I have had 169 hits on my auction so far...and I don't believe we have had any common bidders...which also is odd to me. We'll see how it goes.

    Congrats on a good auction.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:06 AM  

  • This is a good auction! If you want to see some more really funny, weird and bizarre auctions, go check out Curious-Auctions.com. Can you believe people really sell this stuff??

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo