The Electric Commentary

Thursday, February 09, 2006

Why Does Saturday Night Live Suck?

Perhaps it is because they require 7-year contracts:

I thought I was being asked to audition, but they had my tape and wanted me to come in. I checked with my manager, and he told me it was a test. It was down to the last 12 people, and I could have gotten on the show off this thing. I thought, "OK, cool." But I had to sign a deal in order to test, so I would have had to accept their offer--a seven-year contract--to test. I pulled out the day before the audition. I didn't want to be bound for seven years.


That's from The Daily Show's Demetri Martin (who also used to write for Conan O'Brien).

If you are SNL this makes no sense. You want the kinds of performers who are good enough to leave after 3 years.

(Hat tip, Mike K.)

3 Comments:

  • Interesting.

    I can see what compelled it, they used to have huge brain-drain. SNL used to be where all the upcoming comedians came through. Now it's apparently the Daily Show. They obviously need to adjust though.

    By Blogger Scott H, at 2:30 PM  

  • That's fascinating. I wonder what it would take for me to sign a seven-year contract for anything. I mean, sure, if you show me enough cash I'll do it, but it would be awfully tough for me to decide right now that I'll do any job through 2013.

    By Blogger MDS, at 9:51 AM  

  • What does this remind me of...? Ah yes, indentured servents customarily lived in slavery for SEVEN years.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo