The Electric Commentary

Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Bad Beer Review: Hamm's Golden Draft


One of my local pubs (Sheffield's, best beer garden in town) features a "Bad Beer of the Month" and this month, they featured the deplorable Hamm's Golden Draft.

Hamm's is a great brand. They used to advertise in such a way as to be offensive on several different fronts. First and foremost, Hamm's definitely appealed to children. How do I know? When I was a child, I thought that the bear (and the cartoon commercials featuring the bear) was really cool, and I also knew the words to the jingle. I'm all for beer and alcohol, and I frequently defend alcohol advertising on this blog, but in retrospect those ads make me a bit uneasy.

Even so, Hamm's commercials appealed to very young kids, not teenagers, and very young kids will not drink beer under any circumstances. When you are 6 years old it tastes "yucky." It is therefore better to have a cartoon mascot than some teen idol, I suppose.

Secondly, the aforementioned jingle:

From the land of sky blue waters (waters),
Hamm's the beer refreshing,
Hamm's the beer refreshing,
Hamm's...


is probably offensive to Native Americans. The tune is reminiscent of the Braves' tomahawk chop chant, and that is clearly the image that they were going for back in the day.

Perhaps it is unsurprising that Hamm's, or at least Hamm's Golden Draft, tastes like yeasty water with a hint of tin, and maybe a bit of Sprite. It isn't even a good chugging beer, as it is not particularly smooth, and its overly sweet finish is almost certain to make for some bathroom nastiness later in the evening. Not so much beer as beer-flavored soda-pop, HGD is slightly more drinkable than Schlitz and Huber, but not nearly as pleasant as the more mainstream bad beers like Old Style, PBR, and my "bad beer favorite," Red Dog.

If you are looking for an economical choice, you can do better than Hamm's. Don't get suckered in by the ads. The collectibles may be cute, but the beer is decidedly urinesque.

3 Comments:

  • Oh, yeah Bad Beer of the Month! It's a great way to save money once you've had enough good beer to not notice the difference anymore.
    I also knew the jingle quite well as a kid. It sounded much like all of stereotypic native americans on the cartoons I watched.

    One point of disagreement though. I liked beer as a very young kid. So did my brother & cousins.

    By Blogger Scott H, at 10:46 AM  

  • Also, Red Dog is truly horrible. If you remember, I wouldn't even drink that free Red Dog you gave us when I was dirt poor.
    Old Style is great. I prefer it to Bud.

    By Blogger Scott H, at 10:53 AM  

  • old style is awful, red dog is o.k., and pbr is actually a good beer..as for regular hamm's i actually enjoy it!! but the golden draft is a little hard to drink, but pop a hole in the can and you can drink it all night, just get the whole can down before it gets warm!!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo