The Electric Commentary

Wednesday, April 12, 2006

The Bear Patrol

Homer: Not a bear in sight. The Bear Patrol must be working like a charm.
Lisa: That's specious reasoning, Dad.
Homer: Thank you, dear.
Lisa: By your logic I could claim that this rock keeps tigers away.
Homer: Oh, how does it work?
Lisa: It doesn't work.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: It's just a stupid rock.
Homer: Uh-huh.
Lisa: But I don't see any tigers around, do you?
Homer: Lisa, I want to buy your rock.

Well, that scene kept running through my head as I read a post by Ruth Rosen at TPMCafe about all the wonderful things we should be thanking government for as we pony up our taxes this weekend.


That's from Julian Sanchez at Reason. Read the whole thing.

7 Comments:

  • Empirically speaking, are there any countries with consistently awesome infrastructure like we have that don't have relatively high taxes?

    Yeah a lot of tax monay is wasted. But it does pay for the stuff she talks about in the article.

    By Anonymous Phil, at 10:29 PM  

  • Empirically speaking, there is Hong Kong. Not sure about their tax situation for sure, but I'm willing to bet, based on reputation, that it is quite low.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 8:05 AM  

  • We're here, we're clear, we don't want any more bears.

    By Blogger Ace Cowboy, at 11:00 AM  

  • crap, you got me there, they do have a lot lower taxes and, (anecdotally as well), I heard it was sweet over there.

    Apparently though, their taxes amount to like 7 percent of their GDP and ours are something like 8 or 9. So, uh, I don't know, I guess my point was it still costs a lot of tax money to have the "good" bear controls, but obviously there are better ways of funding bear patrols.

    By Anonymous Phil, at 12:42 PM  

  • The Hong Kong couple percentage points is pithy. Hong Kong has a much higher population density so the U.S. has increased cost from spending on infrastructure and other costs to connect a more physically, idealogically, and otherwise diverse nation. Also, our military spending is huge.

    I would like to say that I didn't think most of Rosen's examples were as specious as Paul suggests. Granted it does put a gloss on gov't spending because you could just as easily cite a string of useless gov't spending projects.

    By Blogger Scott H, at 4:17 PM  

  • what does pithy mean?

    By Anonymous phil, at 9:39 AM  

  • Uh, oops, the use of "pithy" is improper by me. I actually meant the opposite, which is to say I meant: so little as to be essentially meaningless in this context. Pithy apparently means concise and meaningful.
    Thanks Phil.

    By Blogger Scott H, at 10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo