The Electric Commentary

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

A Real Sausage Fest

As you all know, the single most enjoyable part of any Milwaukee Brewers' home game is the sausage race. The sausage race is great. Aside from being highly entertaining, it also teaches us that Germans wear lederhosen, Italians have gigantic mustaches, and Polish people where sunglasses and Freddy Krueger sweaters. I don't know why they do this, but apparently they do.

Today, the Brewers and Klement's Sausage Co. announced that they're adding a fifth sausage, the Mexican Chorizo. I'm extremely happy with this decision. For the most part, people of European ancestry do not get angry about their stereotypes. Italian people occasionally get ticked off about Mafia references, but that problem usually takes care of itself, if you get my drift.

So what will the Chorizo look like?

The newest sausage mascot is expected to be adorned with a mustache and a sombrero and will sport the traditional colors of green, white and red.


I'm really looking forward to this. I don't think it will be that big of a deal among actual Mexicans, who often use this imagery in their own restaurants. I suspect that, like the Irish, they've mostly come to terms with it. But I'm still willing to bet that it will make some people uncomfortable. And someone will probably write some stupid immigration column using this as an example.

I'm hugely in favor of more sausage diversity (if you share my passion, you must eat here at some point), and far from stealing the jobs of the Polish, Brat, Italian, or Hot Dog, the Chorizo will only serve to motivate his competitors, and drive sausage-racing innovation to places that we have never seen.

Welcome, humble Chorizo.

Update: I can't find the classic Sausage Race video either, (nor can I find the 2-fisted slobber), but here's a pretty good race:


Update 2: Here's an article about the two-fisted slobber and negative marketing campaigns. And as the comments of the article correctly note, that picture is not the actual slobber, but a cheap knock-off.

9 Comments:

  • Good luck, Chorizo...I bet he hops the fence and sneaks into Minnesota illegally.

    By Blogger Ace Cowboy, at 11:47 AM  

  • Do they sell Chorizo at Miller Park? I've never noticed. If they add it to the concession stands does that mean you have to eat five sausages in order to "eat for the cycle"?

    I would absolutely love it if somebody could dig up the old sausage race video from County Stadium. The one they used before they had guys in suits do it. That video was awesome. I'd love to find the two-fisted slobber ad too. Neither are on youtube.

    By Blogger DannyNoonan, at 12:10 PM  

  • I love the end of the video where the kid says "I'm glad ______ didn't win!"

    By Blogger Scott H, at 2:29 PM  

  • remember how with the old sausage race (the one on the scoreboard, with only 3 sausages), they showed the season standings after each race?

    well, i went to the last game of the season one year, and every sausage was 27-27-27. the sausage race was fixed!

    it was the day i lost my innocence and became a jaded, jaded young man, who that very moment took on the two-fisted slobber as my role model.

    By Blogger ahren, at 6:06 PM  

  • I think in the early days of the costumed sausage race it was fixed too. Now I think random stadium workers put the suits on and actually try to run fast (tip-before placing your bet, look at the sausage's shoes) whereas in the first year or two they were just trying to be funny. I remember them really pumping their arms and running in circles as if they couldn't control the lean of the tall costume.

    Ahren, can you bet on the sausage race in Vegas?

    By Blogger DannyNoonan, at 8:12 AM  

  • i've never seen an actual line on it in a sports book, but pete rose is usually hanging out around the mgm-- i'm sure he'd give you some action on it.

    so, randal simon hitting the sausage with a bat... funniest thing ever? or yes?

    By Blogger ahren, at 3:55 PM  

  • Absolutely, that bastard.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 6:17 PM  

  • Damn, kangaroo dogs? I thought the 20 dogs at the Ted (including the awesome Bison Dog) were a variety.

    Speaking of Turner Field, their answer to the Sausage race is the Home Depot tool race that they show on the HDTV. You basically watch a cartoon of a Paint Bucket, Paint Brush, and Paint roller run around the bases and cheer on your favorite. I'm a bucket kind of guy myself.

    By Anonymous Rashid Muhammad, at 8:36 PM  

  • They ARE going to start offering chorizo at Miller Park concession stands:

    http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060727&content_id=1578614&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

    Awesome. But "eating for the cycle" just got more difficult. But more rewarding as well.

    By Blogger DannyNoonan, at 8:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo