The Electric Commentary

Thursday, September 07, 2006

Lost and found

I’m in the middle of a Lost marathon right now. I’m trying to watch all of season two on DVD before season three begins on October 4 (I think). I watched four episodes last night. I think I watched the first season over the course of a few days. When you’re watching a show on DVD and that show ends almost every episode with some sort of cliffhanger, it’s pretty hard not to watch just one more. I try to avoid discussion and internet speculation about Lost like the plague because the best part of the show is trying to figure things out and be surprised by all the new twists. So far, I’m sticking with my theory from last season. I’ve heard people mention the “they died and are in purgatory” theory and I think that’s kinda lame. I think that the answers will be very similar to the answers in The Mysterious Island. Has anyone else had this theory? I’m sure people have but I’ve never heard it suggested, and certainly not to the degree people suggest other theories. But, like I said, I try to avoid those kinds of discussions. Especially since I’m a season behind.

While at Target buying season 2, I picked up a Rubik’s Cube in the checkout line. Impulse purchase. While I won’t use the internet to figure out Lost, I have no problem using it to figure out the Rubik’s Cube. After about 20 minutes found the solution for it for the very first time using the “layers” method. While a watched Lost I got it a few more times. When last I tried it, in like 1992, I though it was impossible. Now it’s getting pretty easy. What did people do before the internet?

Reason to amend the constitution of the day: "American flags stolen by squirrels from graves make up the bulk of a nest at an Eau Claire cemetery." If we allow these squirrels to desecrate the flag, the terrorists will have won.

Also in the overlooked news, The Cato Institute released its Economic Freedom of the World: 2006 Annual Report today.

"This year's report notes that economic freedom remains on the rise. The average economic freedom score rose from 5.1 (out of 10) in 1980 to 6.5 in the most recent year for which data are available. Of the 102 nations with scores in 1980 and in the most recent index, 98 recorded improvements in their economic freedom score, four saw a decline. In this year's index, Hong Kong retains the highest rating for economic freedom, 8.7 out of 10, followed by Singapore at 8.5. New Zealand, Switzerland, and the United States tied for third with ratings of 8.2. Ireland and the United Kingdom are tied for 6th at 8.1. Canada ranked 8th with a rating of 8.0. Iceland and Luxembourg are tied for 9th at 7.9."

Not bad.

11 Comments:

  • I've heard people bring up The Mysterious Island before. I think there are references to it on the show.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:16 PM  

  • You had to travel to a drugstore or bookstore to buy the $4.95 trade paperback copy of the book containing the solutions. I assume some money went to the authors.

    The Internet didn't invent knowledge, just makes some things easier to access. hth

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:23 AM  

  • So hth, if you wanted to look up the meaning of, say, "rhetorical question," you would just have to spend a little money and walk a short distance to the drugstore?

    By Blogger JesusIsJustAlrightWithMe, at 8:19 AM  

  • Why would you leave comments open on a rhetorical question? Did I offend in making small talk here, jesus? Jesus we're sensitive for a Friday,eh?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:03 AM  

  • The clearly rhetorical question, "What did we do before the internet?" is clearly rehtorical because the answer is "walk down to the drug store and buy a book."

    That answer is boring and incomplete. The real answer is that we had to prioritize the questions that we truly wanted answered and put forth great effort to actually search out the answer. Moreover, the unease of this process served as a general disincentive towards seeking answers at all.

    In short, it was not as easy as simply walking down to the drugstore, as you so flippantly put it.

    Before the interent we were stupider, because information was less available and more expensive.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 11:26 AM  

  • "Before the interent we were stupider, because information was less available and more expensive."

    Based on some of the blogs I've visited it is too bad the internet doesn't do a better job of teaching comprehension of information. An idiot with access to more facts is still an idiot.

    By Blogger Scott H, at 12:49 PM  

  • hth, we appreciate your comments. I think JIJAWM was just busting your chops a little. We're all about good-natured mockery here.

    By Blogger DannyNoonan, at 12:59 PM  

  • Actually you're brother writes like an uppity tard who pukes on himself. He must be at work, on the clock, to come up with this shit *:
    The real answer is that we had to prioritize the questions that we truly wanted answered and put forth great effort to actually search out the answer. Moreover, the unease of this process served as a general disincentive towards seeking answers at all.

    As I recall, you fiddled with the Cube for awhile, and then went into the drugstore to buy the little solution book they had out then. But I rode along when my mom went to the store, not walked, and made the purchase myself. (I think the stock supply was plenty that my mom didn't have to procure my toys and books and shit.) So, you're just talking out your ass with this:
    In short, it was not as easy as simply walking down to the drugstore, as you so flippantly put it. Before the interent {sic} we were stupider, because information was less available and more expensive. Speek fer yerself, eh?

    *Just fuckin wiff ya. Bustin chops so to speak. hth

    http://www.amazon.com/Simple-Solution-Rubiks-Cube/dp/0553140175/sr=8-1/qid=1157746369/ref=pd_bbs_1/002-3246166-0709627?ie=UTF8&s=books

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:19 PM  

  • I think you meant to say "your brother writes like an uppity tard."

    By Blogger JesusIsJustAlrightWithMe, at 3:49 PM  

  • Nope. I ered on purpose. But theirs no way you could have picked up on that.
    Jesus!:*

    *still just fuckin w/ya. That's ok to push back here, right?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:34 PM  

  • I heard about polish drugstore. They sell
    medicines without prescription!
    www.aptekaotc.pl

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo