The Electric Commentary

Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Dissent From Above

Now that we have Google Earth, no one can hide:

In the run-up to the country's parliamentary elections this Saturday, cyber-activists in Bahrain are using Google Earth to highlight the excesses of the ruling al-Khalifa family. It's always surprised me that more authoritarian regimes do not block access to Google Earth. Bahrain has tried in the past, but its efforts to do so proved mostly futile. And since Google ratcheted up the resolution of its images of Bahrain, Google Earthing the royal family's private golf courses, estates, islands, yachts, and other luxuries has become a national pastime. Most Bahrainis have long known that these things existed, but they've been hidden behind walls and fences.

3 Comments:

  • where's your analysis of the brewers' trade? i want to argue with someone and cite WARP1 numbers and EQA and STUFF scores... i count on you for this... uh... stuff.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:14 PM  

  • Alright, alright. When I get home I'll analyze the trade, thing is, I'm unfamiliar with most of these guys, plus I agree with your post pretty much completely. I think that Dana Eveland and Krynzel are both terrible, and that you overrate both of them, but that's mainly because I personally saw Eveland pitch like 15 times this years and I saw him record like 12 outs. So I'm not sorry to see him go.

    Davis is a nice player, but he's going to get expensive, and he's not a team-breaker or anything.

    And as for the D-backs, Vargas has potential, certainly more than Eveland, but Estrada is up there (likely a defensive backup to Rivera's hitting), and that third guy, I have no clue about. As for advanced stats, I'll have to look them up.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 5:49 PM  

  • I love google earth. Can find almost anybodies place I know. Toner

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo