The Electric Commentary

Saturday, January 13, 2007

Closing Wolski's, Basketball, and Book #1

I closed Wolski's the other night. Wolski's is a local hole-in-the-wall that had the brilliant idea of handing out bumper stickers that say "I Closed Wolski's" to everyone that is at the bar when they shut down for the night. Closing Wolski's has become a sort of right of passage to Milwaukeeans. The bumper stickers are brilliant for two reasons really. The first is that they practically insure that everyone that goes to Wolski's stays until close, and additionally, a lot of people will come from other bars for "one last round at Wolski's before bar time." The second reason is that the bumper stickers are key advertising. If you drive around Wisconsin, they are ubiquitous. I've seen them all over outside of the state too. There was even one plastered behind a bar I went to in Galway, Ireland. I think that, sadly, this was the first time I had ever closed Wolski's. But I'm not sure. I don't always remember when I close bars... That's odd...

I've been watching a lot of basketball lately. This is strange because, historically, I've been a huge hater of basketball. It always struck me as incredibly boring. Every game seemed to go approximately the same way. Both teams score easily for three quarters so that by the beginning of the forth, the score is something like 72 to 70. To me this translates to zero-zero rendering the first three quarters moot. So the forth quarter should be exciting, right? Until the timeouts begin anyway. Well, for some reason, in spite of all of this, I've been getting into it a little bit lately. The Badgers have been dominant and are ranked third, their highest ranking ever. I guess it's easier to get into a sport when your team is kicking ass. Especially when they have a guy that looks like Chris Rock on the team. I know this has been beaten to death, but I still laugh every time I see Kammron Taylor.


Top: Kammron Taylor, Wisconsin Basketball Star. Bottom: Chris Rock, Comedian










Additionally, the Bucks were doing pretty well until Michael Redd and Mo Williams and that guy with no eyebrows got hurt. They were a game over 500, which put them at... Last place in their division. But I'm told that the division is tough so that's still pretty good. Right? They've now dropped like four straight. So... They're still last in their division. Anyway, now they're trying to fill the gap left by Redd and Williams with this little peanut named Earl Boykins. He's like 5 inches shorter than me, but apparently he's pretty good, and can score, which is important. I like that.

I promise never to post about Basketball ever again. I'm really sorry about that.

I finished the first book in my 25-Book Challenge. It's called Stumbling on Happiness, by Daniel Gilbert. I swear, it's not a self-help book. I found it on the recommended books on the Marginal Revolution blog. Gilbert's premise is that humans are not very good at predicting what will make us happy in the future. Basically, when we try to imagine what some point in our future will hold, most of us make certain mistakes. Gilbert identifies these mistakes and spells them out. He references all sorts of material, empirical and anecdotal, to support his thesis. It actually contains some pretty heavy stuff but the book comes across as completely light-hearted. Gilbert writes a lot like Malcolm Gladwell, which is a huge compliment. Sometimes, though, he shifts from Gladwell to Dave Barry, and sometimes that Barry silliness doesn't seem to fit quite right. Overall, it was really good and I would definitely recommend it.

1 Comments:

  • Boykins scored 30 today to snap thelosing streak. They played a shitty team though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo