The Electric Commentary

Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Living each day as if it were your last.

I keep seeing variations of this line on emails or those "successories" posters that boring people hang up in their offices or whatever. "Live each day as if it were your last but dream as if you'll live forever" or some other such nonsense. Here's my question, if you really had one day left to live, what would you do? Here is a list of what I think would be common answers to this questions:

-Spend time with loved ones.

-Finalize will, funeral arrangements etc.

-Go out for a big steak and a $200 bottle of wine.

-Tell off boss.

-Go skydiving/bungee jumping/mountain climbing etc.

-Get high and get a prostitute.

-Go to church and pray.

-Shoot somebody.

There are probably a lot of other ways that people would answer this question. But the point is that none of these are good things to do every day (Except eating the steak. And maybe spending time with loved ones. And probably... You get my point.). My guess is that almost nobody, even the people that have this line in their "about me" section of their MySpace profiles, would answer "I'd do exactly what I'm doing right now." (Especially since right now, you're sitting at a computer reading this here blog).

Sometimes we have to do boring or difficult or unpleasant things today so we can be happier tomorrow. We go to work today so we can buy a house next year. We sleep tonight so we can be well-rested for tomorrow. We eat a lean, 6oz chicken breast, broccoli and a salad today so we can be fit and have low cholesterol in 5 years. Living each day as if it were your last is for suckers.

5 Comments:

  • I used to live each day as if it was my last, but then I checked into rehab. Now I live each day as if it isn't my last. The results have made me much happier.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:35 PM  

  • Anything that keeps the sucker population in check.

    By Anonymous Rashid Z. Muhammad, at 11:00 AM  

  • thanks a lot for taking all the fun out of my drugs and hookers... now all i have is chicken breast.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:32 PM  

  • The way I see it, there's nothing wrong with living some days as if they were your last. It's just that living each day as if it were your last is totally stupid. So Ahren, you can still live a happy and productive existance if you do the occasional drug and pay for the occasional romp. Just don't do it every day. Or at least not every moment.

    By Blogger DannyNoonan, at 12:21 PM  

  • It all depends how you define it...
    I don't think we can really feel it, experience... "The last day”. unless it is here.... Overeating, drugs etc..
    are the addictions and something that we do to cover, suppress our confused, abused feelings. to get an instant gratification...
    I've heard and read some stories about people's last days...
    It is a total change of the way they perceive the world: intense, bright and greedy.... it is a desire just to be here and now, to suck in as much life as they can...to shut down your mind and drink in ,with all their senses, life of the surrounding world.. it is an awakening of the soul... hard to understand, let alone to describe...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo