The Electric Commentary

Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Happy Mardi Gras

What's your favorite "drinking holiday?" I'll still take St. Patrick's day, as I have found Halloween and New Year's Eve rather disappointing recently. The Fourth of July has had a number of strong showings lately, and benefits greatly from its mid-summer proximity (most other drinking holidays take place during cold or cool seasons).

Around my neighborhood a few of the Irish bars are advertising the beginning of the "St. Patrick's Day Season." That might be taking it a bit far, although since the South Side parade here in Chicago always takes place on a Sunday, the holiday will often span two weekends.

Mardi Gras has the rather enormous problem of always taking place on a Tuesday. I'm all for weekday drinking, however I cannot handle the "holiday level" of drinking during the week anymore. Around the 28-year-old mark it really starts to hit you. Mardi Gras is best enjoyed by the very young.

Cinco de Mayo has surged into the mainstream as well, and I'm all for it. As I've mentioned before, I'm hugely in favore of ethnically based holidays, as long as they involve ethnically-themed drinking. Burritos are nice too. Lack of alcohol is my major beef with Kwanzaa. That, and the communism.

Christmas Eve is a solid drinking holiday with some built-in recovery time the next day. Of course, no one wants to admit that Christmas Eve is a drinking holiday, and as I write this I'm quite certain that Bill O'Reilly's "Christian Holiday Alarm" is sounding loud and clear.

Here is an old Mardi Gras post. It begins with the line:

Tomorrow is Mardi Gras, which is French for "pretend you're Irish."


Here is my review of John Kennedy Toole's, A Confederacy of Dunces.

4 Comments:

  • If some little Nazi is going to toss 6-11 3pt shots bouncing stuff off the rim and backboard while forwards are allowed to literally use sumo-wresting style rebound tactics (gotta fight back a bit better once it is being allowed), mardi gras can go F itself.

    By Blogger Scott H, at 9:47 PM  

  • Labor Day. Outside. Hot. Cold brews. America works best when we say union yes. Or mix together for a day at the park, ballgame, or neighborhood bar anyway.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:40 AM  

  • Don't forget Memorial Day, its the kickoff of the summer and a great weekend to grill out, watch war movies, and drink beer.

    Rod

    By Anonymous Rod, at 6:14 PM  

  • Cheers to drinking and getting high. I too enjoy my drinking with my drinking partners on the occasion of St. Patrick's day for thats the day we can enjoy full swing with all the pubs offering the best of booze. Loved reading your post. Do drop by my blog to check some news that would be of your interest.

    By Anonymous gerry, at 4:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo