The Electric Commentary

Thursday, February 01, 2007

Trans Fats, Marshal Teague and Book #2

Besides the occasional giant Chipotle burrito, I very rarely eat fast food. The only major exception is when I'm on the road. If I have to go on a long drive, I'm not above enjoying a Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich. The other day I had a hearing in Green Bay in the morning and another in Madison in the afternoon. As I was scanning the signs on highway 29 looking for an exit with a Wendy's, I noticed a sign for Fazoli's--Fast Italian food. I ate a lot of Fazoli's in college with the cross country team, but I hadn't been to one since my running days. I decided to give it a shot.

So here's the problem with creating these big issues with things like trans-fats. There were several signs in Fazoli's with pictures of pasta dishes, Alfredo sauce, pizza and other Fazoli's cuisine that said something like "95% of our food contains no trans-fats! Now you can enjoy guilt-free." I'm no nutritionist, but removing trans fats from Alfredo sauce does not make it healthy, does it? Are we really helping to educate people by hyping trans fats when the fast food companies can so easily use the hype to their advantage? That said, my lunch was lovely.

Speaking of advertising, I was just put on hold by [a plaintiff's law firm] and this is what the on-hold-message said:

"Hi my name is Marshal Teague. You may have seen me in Walker Texas Ranger, Armageddon and The Rock. I'd like to tell you about my friend [named partner of law firm]. If you need top-notch legal representation in Milwaukee, Madison, Green Bay or Illinois, there's only one place to turn...." or something like that.

Marshal Teague??? Who the hell is Marshal Teague? Can Marshal Teague really be considered a celebrity endorsement? Anyway, that was about the funniest thing I heard today. So I asked a few of my co-workers if they had ever been put on hold by [law firm]. One of them told me that the old message was from Leslie Easterbrook (you may know her from Police Academy part 1, and parts 3-6). I wonder how much C-grade celebrities make recording on-hold-messages?

I also just finished Book #2 in my 25-book-challenge:

Freakonomics, By Stevens Dubner and Levitt.

I know I'm way behind the times on this one. I think just about everyone I know read this a long time ago, but I just got around to it now. I thought this book was truly awesome. It should be required reading in high schools. If more people could look at the world through Steve Levitt's eyes, it would be a better place. Or at least a more interesting place. The whole book is Levitt, through Dubner, looking at different everyday events or institutions and analyzing them by asking questions and drawing conclusions. He examines the role incentives play in just about everything. I think I'll be adding a few more pop-economics books to my list.

5 Comments:

  • This is a good one:

    http://www.amazon.com/Naked-Economics-Undressing-Dismal-Science/dp/0393324869/sr=8-1/qid=1170362064/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-1555408-7080926?ie=UTF8&s=books

    As is The Undercover Economist:

    http://www.amazon.com/Undercover-Economist-Exposing-Poor-Decent/dp/0195189779/sr=1-1/qid=1170362093/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/102-1555408-7080926?ie=UTF8&s=books

    By the way, Tim Harford of undercover Economist fame will be on Extension 720 with Milt Rosenberg Tomorrow.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 2:35 PM  

  • Good point on the Trans Fats. Damn I miss Fazoli's. They had this one sample platter that was like Lasagne, Spaghetti, and Fettuchinne Alfredo on one platter that I used to love. I don't think that they operate down my way though.

    Maybe these celebs blew somebody's brains out and got off thanks to [law firm]. I mean Mrs. Easterbrook did have some cannons.

    By Anonymous Rashid Z. Muhammad, at 3:28 PM  

  • Yeah, I got the sampler thing. And a bunch of breadsticks. They sure give you a ton of food for $5.85. It's a good thing I was able to enjoy it guilt-free.

    By Blogger DannyNoonan, at 11:17 AM  

  • http://www.theonion.com/content/amvo/kfc_purges_trans_fats


    I like the first one.

    By Blogger Scott H, at 3:20 PM  

  • This is a terrific blog. I hope mine will be near as good. Used Books

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo