The Electric Commentary

Monday, March 12, 2007

I Know! Let's Imprison Homosexuals!

Normally I wouldn't care about a blogger with the limited reach of Lucas at Wild Wisconsin, but a few things make him worth mentioning. The first is that he writes for the more high-profile (at least in Wisconsin) Badger Blog Alliance. The second is that he attends Patrick Henry College, which produces an amazingly high number of White House interns:

As time went on, it also attracted notice because of a perceived closeness with the Bush administration, which had given the school's students a number of White House internships and opportunities. In the spring of 2004, of the almost 100 student interns working in the White House, seven were from Patrick Henry College, which had 240 students at the time.


But the real reason that I'm linking to this is that it is sometimes good to be reminded that there are people out there who actually think like this:

Learning From Africa

Nigeria has a law that is working its way through its government that would assign a five-year prison sentence on anyone practicing homosexuality. Would American Christians support the same type of legislation if it came before our government for a vote? We are on comfortable ground talking about legislation and constitutional amendments to keep marriage between one man and one woman. Fine. But if we are going to be consistent, if we truly believe that homosexuality is wrong, then is there a reason why we wouldn't support such a law? Are we afraid of those who would laugh at us? I can see the comments already to this post--most wouldn't even be charitable and I will be openly mocked even to entertain thoughts about this law.

But we must be consistent and we must stand up for the truth even if it hurts.


I'm speechless. I am without speech.

13 Comments:

  • It'll be interesting to see if any of those other BBA shmucks call him out on that. My guess is that they won't.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:02 PM  

  • I can think of no better way to prevent gay people from engaging in homosexual acts than to send them to prison.

    Wow that kid is a shit-head. It always shocks me when I hear that people actually think like this. I wouldn't call those badger blog alliance chumps "high profile" though. It's just a bunch of right-wingers giving each other metaphorical hand-jobs.

    By Blogger JesusIsJustAlrightWithMe, at 3:12 PM  

  • I can say as a BBA smuck I am just as appalled by that statement as Paul is

    But I would point this out while Lucas is a BBA member he rarely post there and if I am following the links he posted this at his personal blog not on the BBA

    I will also like to remind mr anon that I was an early and vocal opponent to the Marriage amendment in Wisconsin. Paul can vouch for me on that one. so put away the broad brush.

    By Anonymous chris, at 4:19 PM  

  • This is true of both Chris
    and Dean. To their great credit, both opposed the gay marriage amendment in Wisconsin.

    As for Lucas it is on his personal blog, and normally it would not be my MO to even care about this other than to bug him in his comments section, but this was the extreme of the extreme, and I believe that Lucas's comments should have consequences. I believe that Jib should kick him off the BBA.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 4:26 PM  

  • Chris,
    That's great to see that you have some integrity. I really mean that. However, I do think that if you guys choose to tie yourselves to that boy in some "alliance," it's not unreasonable for us to assume that your opinions are allied with his unless you tell us otherwise. Is anyone going to tell us otherwise over there?

    By Blogger JesusIsJustAlrightWithMe, at 5:08 PM  

  • You shouldn't be suprised that their are people out there that think like that. The Supreme Court decision saying a Texas anti-sodomy law was unconstitutional was decided within the past 7 years and it reversed a case from like the 80's or something.

    I just found an article on the case: Supreme Court strikes down Texas sodomy law:
    Ruling establishes new legal ground in privacy, experts say


    Highlights:

    "The 6-3 decision by the court reverses course from a ruling 17 years ago..."

    "As recently as 1960, every state had an anti-sodomy law"

    "Of the 13 states with sodomy laws, four -- Texas, Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri -- prohibit oral and anal sex between same-sex couples. The other nine ban consensual sodomy for everyone: Alabama, Florida, Idaho, Louisiana, Mississippi, North Carolina, South Carolina, Utah and Virginia."


    If your morality stemmed from a purely religious view instead of some sense of rules for necessary societal harmony (or whatever), then it's not that hard to make the jump from crimes with victims (like statutory rape) to victimless crimes such as homosexuality.

    I'm not trying to justify it, I just thought I'd point it out. It's a different mindset.

    By Blogger Scott H, at 8:20 PM  

  • And to think, I got booted from the BBA, imagine what kind of nut I must be!

    By Blogger E.S.K., at 9:59 PM  

  • e.s.k.

    It's because you celebrate national pancake day. The political philosophy of the he BBA only recognizes waffles. Anything else demoralizes our troops.

    By Blogger Scott H, at 12:06 AM  

  • pancakes are awfully close to the French crepe, as pointed out in Taladega Nights, and should therefore justifiably be scorned, unless served as a minor side to some Paul Bunyan or other lumber jack type huge American breakfast.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:00 AM  

  • I think it's probably because I moved to Boston, but it's still fun to say I got kicked out, especially after someone writes something like Lucas.

    Personally, I think he needs to go to rehab.

    By Blogger E.S.K., at 11:29 AM  

  • The Soul Force equality ride will be visiting Patrick Henry College and my group Equality Loudoun will be hosting a reception to encourage dialogue between PHC students and the equality riders. Should be interesting.

    By Anonymous Jonathan, at 5:52 PM  

  • It's an unusual day when I send kudos in the direction of Chris. And yet, as Paul stated, Lucas is still a member of BBA. While I am not advocating his removal from that group (they have a right to proceed as they will), his comments do reflect on the group as a whole.

    By Blogger Other Side, at 5:43 PM  

  • Maybe not imprison, just strip them of their jobs, bank accounts, property and inter them somewhere, say Wyoming since they love Brokeback Mountain so much.

    But the Bible clearly demands executions of homosexuals (:Leviticus 20:13), so anything less than that is a flagrant denial of God's word and we will all suffer His wrath.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo