The Electric Commentary

Monday, November 12, 2007

Worst. Censorship. Ever.

I was just watching The Breakfast Club on Bravo. In the scene where Vernon is giving Bender all of those detentions, at one point Bender tells Vernon to:

Bender: Eat my shorts.
Vernon: What was that?
Bender: Eat. My. Shorts.


This was apparently a bit too risque for Bravo, which edited the conversation to read:

Bender: Eat my socks.
Vernon (and Paul): What was that?
Bender: Eat. My. Socks.

I mean, holy shorts! It's like 10:30 at night too. What the hell?

One time I was watching "Tremors" on USA and they edited out the words "mother humpers" and replaced them with "damn monsters." I didn't think I would hear an edit more egregious than taking out a vague sexual reference in favor of blasphemy, but I think that "socks" for "shorts" might best it.

4 Comments:

  • This raises an obvious question for me: why were you watching the Breakfast Club on Bravo?

    By Blogger RyanSimatic, at 8:33 AM  

  • I think older movies such as Breakfast Club got their "edited for TV" version way back in the day, too. And, as the approved version, has never been re-edited all these years to include things that have been deemed OK to hear on TV since then.

    Tremors has one of the best all-time edits: when the monster hits the side of the ditch that Kevin Bacon has jumped into, Bacon yells, "Fuuuuck you!" It's changed to "Foooooled you!" I think he gave it the finger in the original version, and then they airbrushed that so Bacon would be pointing.

    But nothing beats Robocop's editing. I can't remember the insult from the original, but it happens in a bathroom. The guy is talking about all the things he and his co-workers used to call his boss. "One time I even called him (A LOT WORSE)." The voice wasn't even the same. It's a classic in of itself.

    Mr. Show did a skit on this a few years ago, simultaneously riffing on Goodfellas. It was called "Pallies." If you haven't ever seen this, you should go find it. I think it was the third or fourth season.

    By Blogger Chris, at 8:47 AM  

  • Did you watch the football game last night, Ryan? That's why I was watching The Breakfast Club.

    By Blogger PaulNoonan, at 9:35 AM  

  • I have to admit I actually was driven to Bravo and the B-club by that game also.

    My one thought was my god they all look so young lol.

    By Blogger Chris, at 5:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 
Search:
Keywords:
Amazon Logo